Thursday 30 July 2015

Writing For Fun 12

One---The journey home

Lying down, I looked up at the sky weakly. At that moment, all I had in mind, was my darling wife. I’ve began my two day trip back to my homeland, somewhere in the States. According to the hospital at the destination of my business trip, I had developed a serious cancer, and had only 2 weeks to live. So, I’ve decided to end my business trip early to be able to spend these last few days of my life with my beloved wife.

During the 2-day train ride, I spent almost all of my time thinking about my wife. It is only now, that I realised how much I wanted to spend every second of my life with her right now. Sighs…

Two---Home sweet home
After two tiring days of train-travel, I finally pressed the doorbell of my house, half-dead from the illness and tired, having to carry all my luggages home with me. A familiar face opened the door, and although my eye-lids were half closed and I couldn’t grasp a good look at the woman’s face, I still smelt the sweet scent of the familiar perfume my wife used to put on everytime. It’s surprising how I could still remember that smell…

Steading her gaze, she paused for a moment before letting out a huge shriek. Embracing me with a tight hug, she carried my luggage and asked me in immediately. After all, it’s been a few months since we’ve last met…
Three---The truth
She seemed so happy… but I only had 2 weeks with her left. I had to spill out the truth to her somehow… “How’s your business trip? Why did you return early?” She started pouring me with questions. Without answering her, I just looked silently at her, sipping my hot cocoa slowly, enjoying every bit of it.

Seeing that I did not answer, she knew something was wrong. After being with me for 5 years, she knew everything about me. Taking a deep breath, I spilled the beans.

I stopped, halfway through my “speech”, knowing that the truth was too much for her to take. Already bursting to tears, she looked at me, dumbfounded. Walking towards me, she hugged me and cried on my shoulder. “Oh darling…” She whispered as she buried herself deeper into my arms.

Four---Before
These few days, she has really been taking good care of me, providing me with anything I needed. Legit. Anything. I understand her pain though… Like the seconds on the clock are counting down. It’s just a matter of time before… I can’t even… It’s not that I am scared of death, it is that I can’t bear to see my poor wife being left alone in this world. Imagine the pain she would have to go through… To get used…

Maybe coming back was a mistake. She would just feel sadder. Applies to all of us. Imagine you spending time with someone special to you, knowing that they ain’t going to be with you any longer… I shouldn’t have came back. Or should I?

Five---Last Few Days
Lying on the hospital bed, I looked at her weakly and gave her a smile. My conditions have worsened during these few days and I had to be admitted to a hospital. Looking at her, I realised that she had turned old these few days… Her face no longer contained the liveliness she used to have, which is also one of the things which makes her special…

Sadness enveloped the whole room, as I said my “final words” to her, wanting to her to live on happily. I could see tears running down her cheeks but I pretended not to notice. I really had to get this out. As I spoke, she got more and more emotional, and burst out crying out loud, screaming “Don’t leave me”. It really hurts me to see her in that state, as the last thing I wanted before I left this world was her turning crazy.

My heartbeat got slower and slower, and I knew that she would do anything to get me back to health, but now, she could only watch on. 2 weeks were not enough for her… She could only watch on as my heartbeat hit zero…


Treasure your loved ones. Don’t just start to do so when their time on this world is limited.



Dedicated to Kai :) Who requested this

No comments:

Post a Comment