Monday 20 July 2015

Writing For Fun 7

“Have you seen the headline news? Another patient has died due to their laughter!” I shoved the paper to my friend, who read it in disbelief. “Not another one?” She replied, apparently startled by the fact.

A few years back, the world suffered an enormous epidemic, which surprisingly, killed nobody. However, the virus settled in each and everyone’s bodies, causing a mutation in their brains, making them unable to control laughter, making the victim laugh until he or she’s death. Nobody knows the cure to this new death trend, and scientists are now working their brains out to solve this mystery. There had been more than two thousand death cases in one month, with more than 70 cases each day. The government has already put in lots of money and manpower, for the search of a cure. However, until now, the cure has yet to be found, and on the streets right now, hysterical laughter could be heard, as the victims desperately try to control their laughter…

Sitting on the rooftops together, my best friend and I were talking about life when suddenly, she laughed a little, and, before I could warn her, she burst out into continuous laughter. She may look happy, but I could see the sweat on her forehead as she was another step closer to death, as time passed. “Oh crap…” Startled by the sudden change of events, I screamed. I tried every way I could think of to stop her laughter, even slapped her twice and forced her mouth close, but the laughter just continues.

The more she laughed, the more I got worried, and, finally sat down on the roof, hopeless. Apparently getting the signal that she was hopeless, my best friend gave up too, and sat beside me, laughing her brains out. I could only look at her, the state she is in, and do nothing at all, only watching her as she edges closer to death. All I could say was, “I’m sorry.” She looked at me, I looked at her. I really wanted to join her then, but decided against it.

She took out a piece of paper from her pocket, and wrote, “At least you’re the one sitting on the rooftop with me…” Before finishing her sentence, she just paused there, all silent. The pen fell from her hand, as she just lay on the roof, staring wide-eyed at the sky.

The part where I feared the most has come… Closing her eyes for her, I lay down beside her, looking at the stars in the sky. I saw two shooting stars and, remembering what my mother used to tell me, I made a wish.

“Please wake my best friend up…”


No comments:

Post a Comment