Sunday 12 July 2015

Writing For Fun 4

Through all those wars we’ve fought, I didn’t expect us to be standing here, alive and well. We’re down to our last fight against the remaining enemies, who have set up their final defence on the island, closest to Singapore. We had to destroy them there, once and for all, or else, our homeland, Singapore, would be in danger.

“Lock and Load!” Upon receiving the orders, I loaded the precious bullets into my Thompson and made final checks on my gun, making sure that everything was working. On the battlefield, there is only one rule---Kill or be Killed. And it must be very closely stuck to. War, is just like playing a game with your life, any mistake you make, could cost you your life. The enemy did not care if you were married, had kids, had wives, had parents. They just wanted to conquer us, and we’re here to stop them.

We were the first wave of soldiers to be deployed on the beach, with the mission of weakening enemy defences for the other units to push forward without having much obstruction. With me, were my brothers, whom have been through thick and thin with me, slaughtering enemies together. As the landing craft approached the golden-white beach, I gave them an assuring thumbs-up, secretly wishing them luck. Once you are on the beach, it’s every man for himself. We were the “death squad”, going up, fully exposed, against enemies hiding away in bunkers. We were out in the open.

“Three…Two…One…GO GO GO!” The reinforced front of the landing crafts opened at the same time, and troops poured onto the beach, against heavy enemy fire. Some unlucky souls didn’t even have the chance to even fire their guns, and are already shot dead, with several bullet holes on their torso. I ran with all my might, to the closest trench, and took cover there, seeing all my section-mates being blown apart by heavy artillery and having their brains splattered by 50.cal guns. I’m so frightened…

Until now, our troops have yet to penetrate the defence line, and the fighting was so fierce that the once golden-white beach and the clear blue waters were now in a shade of red. Bodies lay everywhere. But, the fighting hasn’t ended. I had to do something. Aiming at a trench not far in front, I emerged from my original trench and sprinted, taking cover at my destination. And so, I aimed at another trench and sprinted towards it, occasionally letting out bursts of cover fire from my Thompson.

Using this method, I inched myself closer towards the bunkers, where the machine guns were stationed. Yes. This is real. The beach was being piled with bodies now, this is just a mass slaughter. At first, I didn't really agree to the plan of breaching the enemy lines by force, there should at least be one or two air raids before landing so as to reduce the enemy’s resistance and less people will die. I have already suggested this to the commanding officers, but they did not listen. And now look at this. The amount of people, giving up their lives, all due to the lack of planning.

Getting ready my grenades, I took a deep breath and made my final charge. I really wanted to leave this world then, after seeing all my mates, whom I treated as brothers, going before me, to a place, we call, “A Whole New World”. I wanted to join them… Even if I survived, the trauma is still there… Even time could not erase them…

Who knows what happened in the end. Who cares. After all, we’ve won the war. Time will make my family, my wife, my kids understand… that I’m gone…Just another lost soul on the beach…  



No comments:

Post a Comment